Substantial but not overly rich,
the ingenious, Spanish-inspired
toppings for this spicy, succulent
pizza are superfast to prepare.
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 head escarole, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1/2 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and halved lengthwise
1 1/2 ounces firm chorizo, thinly sliced
1. MAKE THE DOUGH: In a large bowl, dissolve the honey in 2 tablespoons of the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of water, then stir in the bread flour, the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and the salt until a lumpy mass forms. On a floured work surface, knead the pizza dough until smooth. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 500° and set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven to heat for at least 30 minutes. On a floured work surface, divide the dough in half and roll each half into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 6-inch disk and transfer to a large, floured baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until puffed, about 15 minutes.
4. MEANWHILE, PREPARE THE TOPPINGS: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 1 minute. Add the escarole and cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. On a floured work surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to an 11-inch round. Transfer to a floured pizza peel. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with olive oil. Scatter half of the Manchego over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge, then top with half of the shrimp, chorizo and escarole. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake for 5 minutes, or until the crust is browned on the bottom, the shrimp is cooked through and the other toppings are sizzling. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
MAKE AHEAD The pizza dough can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Let the dough return to room temperature before proceeding.
FOOD & WINE selects the recipes and is closely involved in evaluating the wines offered by licensed retailers through the FOOD & WINE Wine Club. Global Wine Company has been selected to service and fulfill the
FOOD & WINE Wine Club. For all states other than Texas, all credit card payments will be authorized by Global Wine Company located at 1401 Los Gamos Dr. #230, San Rafael, CA 94903, for the benefit of each retailer. All wine sales are made by a licensed retailer in compliance with state laws and the licensed retailer assures all involved that it fully complies with all states laws applicable to it. Due to state laws, wine can be purchased only be adults age 21 or older. Wine may be shipped only to legal adults. We currently ship to the following states: CA, ID, LA, MO, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OR, WV, WY. Further, in the following states, all orders accepted by and sales made by licensed in-state retailers: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, IA, IL, IN, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NY, OH, VA, WA. In Texas, all wine will be sold by Texas licensed winery, Landon Winery, located at 2508 Lee Street, Greenville, TX, 75401, Phone: 1-903-454-7878.