4 large Asian eggplants (1 1/2 pounds total), halved lengthwise
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 large garlic cloves, very thinly shaved (preferably on a Microplane slicer)
3 marjoram sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon marjoram leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 pound orecchiette
2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 pound burrata cheese, halved, creamy filling scooped out (reserve the firmer exterior for another use)
Coarsely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 oil-packed red chiles, seeded and cut into thin strips
1. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the cut sides of the halved eggplants with olive oil and season with salt. Grill the eggplants cut side down over moderate heat until lightly charred, about 4 minutes. Turn and continue grilling until just browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Let cool. Dice the eggplants and transfer to a bowl. Pour the vinegar over the eggplant and toss well.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the garlic, marjoram sprigs, crushed red pepper and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Bring the oil to a simmer, then pour it over the eggplant and toss. Let stand for 1 hour. Discard the marjoram sprigs.
3. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the orecchiette until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water.
4. Add the eggplant to the pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring lightly, until hot, about 30 seconds. Add the orecchiette and the reserved cooking water and cook, tossing, for about 30 seconds. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the pecorino and parsley.
5. Spoon the pasta into bowls. Dot the pasta with the creamy burrata filling. Garnish with the lemon zest, chile strips and marjoram leaves and serve.
FOOD & WINE selects the recipes and is closely involved in evaluating the wines offered by licensed retailers through the FOOD & WINE Wine Club. Global Wine Company has been selected to service and fulfill the
FOOD & WINE Wine Club. For all states other than Texas, all credit card payments will be authorized by Global Wine Company located at 1401 Los Gamos Dr. #230, San Rafael, CA 94903, for the benefit of each retailer. All wine sales are made by a licensed retailer in compliance with state laws and the licensed retailer assures all involved that it fully complies with all states laws applicable to it. Due to state laws, wine can be purchased only be adults age 21 or older. Wine may be shipped only to legal adults. We currently ship to the following states: CA, ID, LA, MO, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OR, WV, WY. Further, in the following states, all orders accepted by and sales made by licensed in-state retailers: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, IA, IL, IN, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NY, OH, VA, WA. In Texas, all wine will be sold by Texas licensed winery, Landon Winery, located at 2508 Lee Street, Greenville, TX, 75401, Phone: 1-903-454-7878.