1. PREPARE THE MEATBALLS In a medium bowl, mix the milk
and yogurt. Add the bread and press to submerge. Let stand until
saturated, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and
cook over moderate heat until softened, 8 minutes. Add the allspice,
ginger and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb and veal with the bread
mixture, onion and egg yolk. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and
blend thoroughly. Form into 80 rounded-teaspoon-size meatballs.
4. Preheat a grill pan. Oil the pan and grill the meatballs in batches
over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred, about 5 minutes
5. MAKE THE GRAVY In a large, deep skillet, boil the stock over high
heat until reduced to 2 cups, 10 minutes. Add the brandy and
boil for 2 minutes. Whisk in the crème fraîche, gjetost cheese and
cocoa powder and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the grilled meatballs and simmer over low heat, stirring
occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through and the gravy is
slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes
and rutabagas. —Signe Johansen
NOTES Gjetost, a sweet, semifirm Scandinavian cheese, is available
at cheese shops and online at igourmet.com.