This recipe comes from a Melbourne-born chef; the dish reveals Australia's love for Asian flavors.
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
12 chicken drumsticks (3 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3 navel oranges
3 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
5 cups mâche (5 ounces)
1 small head of frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
1 small cucumber—peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. In a large, resealable plastic bag, mix 1/4 cup of the soy sauce with the honey, garlic and ginger. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the broiler with a rack set 10 inches from the heat. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the chicken on the sheet and pour the marinade on top. Broil for about 25 minutes, turning the chicken frequently, until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice and the remaining soy sauce. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange into the bowl and whisk in the canola oil.
4. Using a knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice into the dressing; season with salt and pepper.
5. Toss the oranges with the mâche, frisée and cucumber. Add the dressing and toss. Transfer the salad and chicken to plates and drizzle with any juices from the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve. —Curtis Stone
FOOD & WINE selects the recipes and is closely involved in evaluating the wines offered by licensed retailers through the FOOD & WINE Wine Club. Global Wine Company has been selected to service and fulfill the
FOOD & WINE Wine Club. For all states other than Texas, all credit card payments will be authorized by Global Wine Company located at 1401 Los Gamos Dr. #230, San Rafael, CA 94903, for the benefit of each retailer. All wine sales are made by a licensed retailer in compliance with state laws and the licensed retailer assures all involved that it fully complies with all states laws applicable to it. Due to state laws, wine can be purchased only be adults age 21 or older. Wine may be shipped only to legal adults. We currently ship to the following states: CA, ID, LA, MO, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OR, WV, WY. Further, in the following states, all orders accepted by and sales made by licensed in-state retailers: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, IA, IL, IN, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NY, OH, VA, WA. In Texas, all wine will be sold by Texas licensed winery, Landon Winery, located at 2508 Lee Street, Greenville, TX, 75401, Phone: 1-903-454-7878.